Lonely But Never Alone

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, United States

I'm a new wife and young professional who is intrigued by people and in awe of the Creator.

Monday, November 05, 2007

A Little Bit of Politics

I've been trying to grow my interest in political issues lately. In college I can safely say I didn't know a thing about politics and didn't care to either. Since moving to Kentucky I have graduated to knowing a small little bit and wishing I knew more than I did. The other night I browsed this site at the NY Times and read up on some of the contenders in next year's big election. I have formed some opinions on some issues...not sure this is the right kind of place to express those opinions or not. Don't want to step on too many toes. Well, okay, one thing is worth stepping on toes about. I am saddened to find out that President Bush passed a tax cut (not sure when this happened) for Americans earning more than $250,000 a year (the top 1%) and that there are candidates running who adamantly pledge to protect that tax cut. Now tell me why someone who makes that much money shouldn't be taxed at the same percentage rate as the people who earn a much more modest salary and struggle to get by? This doesn't make sense. Does the government not want to take their money just so they can put the money back into the economy? Excuse me but I think I have to throw up now.

There are candidates that propose to reverse the tax cut given to America's most wealthy. And you know what that would do? That would fund government-based health insurance for every uninsured American at very little cost. I guess I've just been thinking recently while reading Deuteronomy about how God is interested in how His people treat each other on a national level. I think He cares about what the priorities of a country are. I don't want to get into issues of separation of church and state or anything, but I'm just thinking about this obviously as a Christian.

In Deuteronomy 15, God gives the nation of Israel instructions to forgive outstanding debts once every seven years. God also commands His people to take care of the needy in the land. By asking that they forgive debts every so often, God is telling them that there is not to be a great divide between those who have and those who have not. In 15:4, it says, "There shall be no poor among you." While God was speaking to the nation of Israel in this passage, I have no doubt that these words of Deuteronomy are for us too. We have the obligation to take care of the poor and needy and President Bush wants to deny people health care while only serving to make the rich all the richer for it. Now I understand that because it's in the Bible doesn't mean we as a nation and our leaders are obligated to follow it. But as Christians, it is an important thing to consider (especially if our politicians act and speak as Christians). *step off of soapbox*

Let me tell you, Peter is just loving this new-found interest of mine! Hehe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie JS said...

Jackie I'd vote for you...

also I liked your post on relevant Christianity. I kinda had a similar write-up at my xanga blog.

time to update!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

你不能決定生命的長度,但你可以控制它的寬度..................................................

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home