Lonely But Never Alone

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, United States

I'm a new wife and young professional who is intrigued by people and in awe of the Creator.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Relevant Christianity?

I really hate the question of whether or not Christianity is relevant to our culture. The last time I checked, the blood of Jesus was still effective at cleansing sin and giving new life. I'm pretty sure that sacrifice was a once-and-for all guarantee. So I was struck by something I found in Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller:

I don't think any church has ever been relevant to culture, to the human struggle, unless it believed in Jesus and the power of his gospel. If the supposed new church believes in trendy music and cool web pages, then it is not relevant to culture either. It is just another tool of Satan to get people to be passionate about nothing.


Ouch! Brutal honesty! How many times have I been a critic or a "music snob" in a church service? Okay so maybe sometimes it is for legitimate theological reasons...but how often has it been about the small little details? How much emphasis have I placed on trying to make Christianity "cool"? I think this revelation might be why I discontinued my subscription to Relevant magazine, but I think I still have some issues to work through here about why I do what I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessi said...

amazing. you just kind of knocked me off my high horse. thanks. i need that sometimes!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home