Lonely But Never Alone

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, United States

I'm a new wife and young professional who is intrigued by people and in awe of the Creator.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Feast of St. Patrick

This weekend Peter and I attended a weekend gathering called The Feast of St. Patrick. It was a gathering of non-traditional church communities getting together to talk about all kinds of interesting things. Many of the conversations had to do with the role of the church in the Kingdom of God. A common theme throughout the weekend was the dissatisfaction with what church typically looks like and how it is conceived by society.

A lot of things are swimming around in my head from it. I found it to be a time of wrestling with some personal “junk” and baggage, which was helpful. Over the years I have built up a lot of cynicism toward the church and toward many Christians that I need help redeeming and overcoming. It’s often hard for me to put my finger on what exactly I am so frustrated about, but some of the talks had a magical way of putting fancy words to what I have felt for the last 5-6 years or so (since I have started forming my own opinions about what it means to follow Jesus).

While I have reservations with swallowing wholly the views and ideas of those who might declare themselves “emerging” I really believe they’re onto something. There were many times throughout the weekend where I felt revived. I heard the heart of the gospel being talked about and it actually thrilled my heart. You see, ever since college I have radically identified with and longed for the gospel, but have been strangely dissatisfied with the way that Christians associate with the world. When you’ve been so cynical for such a long time it’s good to have confirmation that those warm, fuzzy feelings really are still there somewhere. I really do love and seek after Jesus. I don’t like the approach of going against the church and talking bad about the church. I just want renewal and healing within the church as well as within my heart.

One thing I really enjoyed from the weekend was hearing Kevin and David, founders of a church community in Norwood, OH who have developed communal living as a part of their church practices. I got to hear about how both of their families have made a vow of stability, meaning that they have committed themselves to living in that community and dying in that community. Even though it doesn’t make sense to them, they feel as though God is calling them to that. They have invited others to live with their families in their houses in order to develop intentional Christian community. They believe that by living in community they will be a picture of God to the neighborhood. They have also opened up a café on the same street where people from what seemed to be a dying community can come and have something to do. Their engagement with the community is opening up doors to relationships with people in their neighborhoods. That stuff excites me!

Hearing about this has confirmed to Peter and I that we want to live near our church in Lexington after we get married in May. By living in the community that we go to church in, we hope to make a statement that we care about the neighborhood. I pray that God would honor that and be glorified in that. And while the communal living thing won’t be happening right away, perhaps there’s something there down the road a bit. Who knows?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were in a living room together! Blessings on your journey!

Tammy Jo
www.tammyjo.net

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your heart shows through on this post. you're a Jesus follower - going where he leads. i am always skeptical of folks who have all the answers (not saying you!!). it seems that as soon as you do that - Jesus turns it upside down. that this journey we are all on should be one of wonder, enchantment, discovery, and obedience. i'm rambling. glad you had a good time at the Feast gathering and blessings on the journey!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home