Lonely But Never Alone

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, United States

I'm a new wife and young professional who is intrigued by people and in awe of the Creator.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm still here

So I haven't written on this thing in almost two months. Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. I'll give a quick rundown on my summer. Most you already know much of this (and if you don't, then quit reading my blog, psycho-stalker!)...just kidding.

This summer, Jackie...
1. Went to Colorado and got engaged! I traveled to Estes Park, CO at the end of July-beginning of August with Peter and his family. We stayed in a cute little cabin and did some hiking, putt-putting, game-playing, reading, and relaxing with nature. On the first morning there Peter and I went on the Emerald Lake trail by ourselves and he popped the question!! We're getting married on May 26, 2007 in Lexington. Yay for us!

2. Completed half of her practicum requirements at a private for-profit mental health/ substance abuse hospital. I certainly learned a lot there, both about myself and about the mental health profession. I learned a little more about what kinds of settings I would like to eventually work in. I learned that I want to have on-going relationships with clients instead of only meeting with them once for an intake. I want to walk beside them through their treatment. I also found that the world of for-profit mental health is not really for me. I found it hard to concentrate on what was truly best for the client (patient) when I had to act as a "used-car salesman" for our services. It can be a cruel and depersonalizing environment to work in. I would much rather help people because they're hurting human beings in need of help rather than because admissions are down and the CEO of the hospital is worried about the cash-flow. And that's why I am going to be completing the rest of my practicum requirements this year at a non-for-profit counseling center.

3. Was a nerd. Most of my free time that wasn't spent at my practicum or in Colorado was spent studying for the online class I took. I know, what a riveting life I lead.

4. Took a trip to King's Island amusement park. If you don't already know, I turn into a little kid at amusement parks, so this was certainly a highlight for my summer. When we ran into traffic on the way there and it took an extra hour to get there, I was bouncing up and down and asking, "How much longer??" I think I might have driven Peter close to the edge. I just love the memories of spending my whole summer looking forward to that one day I would get to spend riding roller coasters and eating funnel cakes. I guess I'm easy to please. Peter said he almost decided to propose to me on top of one of the roller coasters. I'm so crazy about them that it would have been okay with me!! Roller coasters almost compare to the beauty of the Rocky Mountains...almost.

5. Decided that my faith needs to be more authentic and more of a central part of who I am. It's cliche I know, but it's truly how I feel. Our new pastor has been giving some amazing sermons on prayer, fasting, and giving to the poor. And what I am hearing is what I want for my life...I just haven't quite gotten there. So I guess I have just been more inspired to keep after it. I'm on a journey where I think I kind of just stopped to view the scenery for a while and need to stand back up and keep moving.

I am sure there is so much more to tell about my summer, but you get the picture. I'm going to live happily ever after with a super boy, my degree is almost done, I want to keep things in focus, I'll be planning a wedding for the next eight and a half months, etc. This is going to be a big year for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home